KCP Hiring Stewardship Coordinator
KCP Stewardship Coordinator (.50FTE – 12 month renewable contract)
Location flexible within the Kootenay Region
The Kootenay Conservation Program (KCP) is a network of over 70 partner organizations working collaboratively to conserve and steward private land throughout the Kootenay Region. Our partners include First Nations, conservation and agricultural organizations, forestry and business, educational institutions and all levels of government. We have a small and dedicated team of staff and contractors working from a variety of Kootenay communities.
Purpose and General Description:
The Stewardship Coordinator will lead the development and implementation of an innovative and targeted project focused on achieving improved effectiveness of stewardship activities on private land throughout the Kootenay Region. The Coordinator will work closely with program staff and partner organizations to conduct outreach activities, perform property evaluations, provide project oversight and coordination, facilitate KCP stewardship committee meetings, implement a Stewardship Strategy and further develop and implement a process to track and report on stewardship activities across the region.
The Stewardship Coordinator reports directly to the KCP Program Manager and will work closely with the members of the KCP Steering Committee, Stewardship Committees, and KCP partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Undertake biological evaluations/assessments (remote and field) of priority private lands as directed by the KCP Program Manager.
• Conduct outreach activities in cooperation with other KCP partner organizations.
• Lead, coordinate, convene, and facilitate KCP Stewardship Committee meetings.
• Participate in Executive Committee, Steering Committee, and Securement Committee meetings as required.
• Participate in Strategic Planning and Business Planning processes and take a leadership role in the stewardship aspects of those processes.
• Develop and implement a Stewardship Strategy to guide KCP involvement in stewardship activities.
• Develop and implement a methodology to track and report on stewardship activities and progress across KCP partner organizations.
• Maintain and update KCP securement and stewardship data sets and maps.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, natural resources management or related field and 5-10 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Advanced and demonstrated written communication skills.
• Highly organized.
• Sound knowledge of the Kootenay Region.
• Ability and willingness to travel extensively throughout the Kootenay Region.
• Experience interacting with private landowners.
• Ability to work as part of a team and lead that team when required.
• Ability to set objectives and manage performance.
• Ability to organize time and manage diverse activities and meet deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge of native habitats and agricultural landscapes.
• Ability to work cooperatively with partners, including civic leaders, industry, government, farmers, and ENGO’s.
• Strong computer skills.
• Ability to diagnose, analyze and solve problems.
• Experience with biological and/or water quality monitoring preferred.
• Ability to explain complicated science topics to laypersons of all walks of life.
• Experience with GIS, including ability to create maps preferred.
• Experience in a non-profit organization would be an asset.
If you are interested in joining our team, please forward your resume and cover letter, indicating “Stewardship Coodinator Application” in the subject line, by Friday February 13, 2015, Noon PDT to the Kootenay Conservation Program via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Kootenay Conservation Program; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.