Each spring, KCP conducts Spring Tours of conservation areas in the East and West Kootenays to showcase our partners’ on-the-ground projects.
Due to COVID-19, our 2020 Spring Tour was held in a virtual format.
We showcased the following projects that are funded by the Kootenays’ 2 Local Conservation Funds:
Kootenay Lake Local Conservation Fund Projects
- North Kootenay Lake Water Monitoring Program: Collecting scale-appropriate climate data to inform land-use, conserve and restore ecosystems, support sustainable community development, and prepare for increased hazards ~ With Greg Utzig (Kootenay Centre for Forestry Alternatives)
- Beavers along the Lardeau and Duncan River floodplains: Conducting population survey and habitat assessment to inform beaver restoration ~ With Brenda Herbison (BC Conservation Foundation)
- Knotweed removal on private lands: Eradicating invasive knotweed from Areas A, D, and E of the RDCK ~ With Erin Bates (Central Kootenay Invasive Species Society)
Columbia Valley Local Conservation Fund Projects:
- Luxor Linkage Resilience and Forest Restoration Project: Restoring Rocky Mountain Douglas‐fir forest to dry open forest to provide important habitat and serve as a linkage corridor ~ With Kate Mackenzie (Nature Conservancy of Canada)
- Columbia Lake Ecosystem Monitoring & Education: Increasing knowledge and monitoring trends to sustain healthy water and habitats in Columbia Lake ~ With Nancy Wilson (Columbia Lake Stewardship)