|Conservation Neighbourhood||Educational Institution|
To support informed decision-making by Columbia Basin-Boundary communities through the provision of information, applied research and related outreach and extension support.
The Columbia Basin Rural Development Institute (RDI) envisions a resilient region where Columbia Basin-Boundary communities thrive as a result of collaborative learning and informed decision-making.
RDI is a regional centre of excellence in applied research and information provision focused on strengthening rural communities in the Columbia Basin Boundary region of British Columbia. The RDI is supported through a partnership between Columbia Basin Trust and Selkirk College. The RDI is funded by Columbia Basin Trust (CBT) through an 8-year partnership agreement. Selkirk College supports the operation of the institute through its infrastructure and specific capabilities, including the Regional Innovation Chair in Rural Economic Development (RIC) who serves as the RDI Lead Researcher.
The RDI supports:
- the collection and use of economic, social, cultural and environmental indicator research;
- provides ongoing analysis of related trends and connects indicators to plans and planning processes;
- supports communities and community groups with information and data needs;
- supports the efforts of local and regional community development groups through the provision of relevant and timely research and best practice tools and processes;
- assists in regional economic diversification through the promotion of innovation and knowledge transfer;
- supports informed decision-making through ongoing research based on regional priorities; and
- builds capacity through collaborative working partnerships with existing organizations, networks and experts.