Seeking Program Manager – Kootenay Conservation Program
Location: TBD (within the Kootenay Region)
Duration: 10-month initial contract for full-time position. Contract renewal subject to satisfactory performance and confirmation of funding
The Kootenay Conservation Program (KCP) is a broad partnership of 78 land and water conservation and stewardship groups, government agencies, resource industries, and agricultural producers working throughout the East and West Kootenays. The partnership seeks to cooperatively conserve the biological diversity and naturally functioning ecosystems of the region while providing mutual project support and leveraging technical and financial resources.
The KCP vision is to have landscapes in the Kootenays that sustain naturally functioning ecosystems that can in turn support economic and social well-being. We envision vibrant communities that demonstrate the principles of environmental stewardship for future generations.
The KCP mandate is to coordinate and facilitate conservation efforts on private land, and to generate the support and resources needed to maintain this effort.
The Executive Committee of the KCP is seeking proposals/resumes from qualified contractors/individuals to assume the lead role in this dynamic, fast paced organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-today administration, coordination, and implementation of the KCP and for direct supervision of two sub-contractors. We require a seasoned professional with a varied combination of education and experience to build on the demonstrated success of this strong organization. The incumbent will be an integral part of the organization and report directly to the Executive Committee Chairperson (or designate).
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Program Administration – plans, organizes, coordinates, schedules, records, and measures success of all KCP functions and programs.
2. Development/Fundraising – develops and maintains relationships with funders, solicits funding, and writes grant applications. The Program Manager (PM) prepares budgets, tracks expenditures, and completes progress and final reports to funders.
3. Strategic Partnerships and Collaboration – use the social capital of the KCP partnership to achieve the vision of the KCP.
4. Communications (Internal and External) – develop and maintain effective working relationships with partners, Executive and Steering Committee members, elected officials, local and regional government, working groups, external stakeholders and the general public. Increase understanding of, and support for, the KCP through community and sector outreach activities.
5. Partnership Building and Outreach – strengthen and solidify effective relationships within the partnership, including securing financial support for partner activities.
6. Capacity Building – explore mechanisms for capacity re-grant and bursary programs to support ongoing development of partner capacity
7. Local Conservation Fund : deliver Columbia Valley and Kootenay Lake Local Conservation Funds (LCF) as per agreement with Regional District of East and Central Kootenay
8. Land Securement Coordination – lead collaborative land conservation efforts through the land securement team.
9. Land Stewardship Coordination – lead collaborative land stewardship efforts through the land stewardship teams.
10. KCP Biodiversity Planning and Landowner Outreach – lead development of program objectives and deliverables related to these KCP initiatives.
Skills, Abilities, Qualifications:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. The ability to lead and follow
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Exceptional communication skills (oral, presentation, writing)
- Strong and demonstrated facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required with occasional travel overnight
- Strong computer skills in MSOffice programs (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and internet research
- Comprehensive understanding of conservation issues in the Kootenay Region. Preference may be given to candidates with post-secondary education in the Natural Resource Sciences or a related discipline.
- Experience in program planning, program development, program implementation, and program evaluation
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Experience in grant making, private land stewardship and administration of third-party funding initiatives
- Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated organizational development experience
Applications should include the following:
- Cover letter
- Company Profile
- Expected remuneration based on a full time (averaging 40 hours/week), 10 month contract.
* The applications should include resumes of all individuals who will be working on the contract. If there is more than one, the principal contractor, or project leader, should be identified together with a breakdown of how the work would be allocated.
Applications must be received in electronic format (MS Word or PDF) by 11.a.m. (MST) Friday, April 15, 2016.
Electronic submissions should be forwarded to Adrian Leslie: email@example.com
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the KCP; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.